Get Their Attention
- An organized layout like a clean room has a focal point.
- We need dominance in the yearbook because it directs the reader
- Make sure the viewing experience is great for the reader and yourself
- Always plan your page with the content in mind
- An alternative copy of a page has quick reads, quotes, how to, facts and survey boxes.
- A story worth telling has relevance, emotional and newsworthy
- Don’t get a quote from somebody, find a story that is interesting. Go out and have a conversation with them. ASK FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS.
- Make sure that you’re listening to the person you’re interviewing
- You can have a spread that features one person
- Go find stories and meet new people; everybody has a story.
How to Report on Mental Health and Suicide Safely
- We should report on mental health because it increases awareness, gives people resources, decreasing stigma and holding institutions accountable for providing services
- Logics suicides song may have led to fewer suicides- studies found
- The potential risks while working on the mental health issues can be, triggering them during the interview, affecting their future/ employment, hurting family and loved ones, invasions of privacy.
Respect and Team Building
- Welcoming the staff in a personal way creates a good welcoming community
- Creating an atmosphere, like good teaching, can help embrace all learners
- Reteach to new people and correct individual needs and don’t bore the entire group when only a couple of people need to be pulled aside and get privately taught.
- Teaching something is a way to force yourself to relearn.
- Have people evaluate themselves—people usually grade themselves lower.
- PRAISE IN PUBLIC, CORRECT IN PRIVATE
- Make applications and tryouts to be on staff even if you don’t make it- it builds excitement.
- Post on social media- introduce the staff to the school community
- HAVE SPECIAL STAFF PRIVILEGES- HAVE A YEARBOOK ONLY SIGNING DAY FOR STAFF.
- DESIGN CUTE PRESS PASSES
- Make t-shirts for the staff to distinguish them
- Pass along positive deadline wishes, like a candy bag and a reason behind each of the candy
- Using social media as a reward; post group activities and not just be based on photographs.
- MAKE YOUR NAME KNOWN
- Regarding staff with stuff like cards or small prizes from small businesses- black-owned businesses
- Have a recognition night for the photographers
- Remind everybody that they are awesome- if you’re winning or working; show off your program
- Make a group chat for the staff to have communication with each other. The group chat can only be for business only and not chitchat and stupid stuff.
- Give words of praise